Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Advising

I have had three students, outside of my Emerging Leaders class, which I have met with almost every week this semester and advised about different aspects of Associated Students and Senate.  One student, the Director of Student Organizations has been especially challenging in pushing her to develop the skills necessary to balance all that she is involved with.  In addition to this, she is in the sorority I was involved with as an undergrad and looks to me as a friend in many situations as opposed to an advisor.  She is someone who needs affirmation and direction but also gets easily overwhelmed and excited about all that she is tasked with.  As the semester has moved forward she has had her highs and lows, November was very difficult, however a meeting this last week has instilled great hope and faith in the work we are doing together.  She runs the ICC meetings and manages the Student Organizations and after a long semester and some rough meetings this one went perfectly.  Everyone had their requirements turned in, Stephanie was organized and on time, senators and student organizations participated, the Senate Committee Chair moved the group through discussion, and everyone seemed to feel that their voice was heard.  Throughout this semester in both the basic leadership books I have read for Emerging Leaders and the articles and readings for my classes I have learned and seen examples of many leadership theories and practices.  It is in working with these students that I am able to evaluate what their leadership strategies and philosophies are, and how they relate to mine.  I have been able have discussions with them about their thoughts and challenge them to try different things.  In turn, they also challenge me to become a better and more effective advisor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment